SPRINGFIELD, MA – The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced today the list of Hall of Famers who will present this year’s class at the 2016 Enshrinement Ceremony, presented by Nike. The special event will be held Friday, September 10th at Springfield Symphony Hall.
Members of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2016 were asked to select a previous inductee to accompany and present them to their peers. The choice is solely the decision of the incoming Hall of Famer. More than 50 Hall of Famers are expected to be in attendance for this year’s ceremony, including all presenters.
The Class of 2016 inductees includes ABA superstar Zelmo Beaty, 27-year NBA referee Darell Garretson, 11-time NBA All-Star Allen Iverson, two-time NABC Coach of the Year Tom Izzo, the first African-American coach in a professional league John McLendon, three-time NBA Finals MVP Shaquille O’Neal, Early African American Pioneer Cumberland Posey, iconic Chicago Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf, four-time WNBA Champion Sheryl Swoopes and global ambassador of the game Yao Ming.
2016 Inductees and Presenters
- Zelmo Beaty, presented by Lenny Wilkens (’89, ’98, ‘10)
- Darell Garretson, presented by David Stern (’14)
- Allen Iverson, presented by Larry Brown (’02), Julius Erving (‘93), John Thompson (’99)
- Tom Izzo, presented by Gary Williams (’14)
- John McLendon, presented by Wayne Embry (’99), Sam Jones (‘84), Isiah Thomas (’00), John Thompson (’99)
- Shaquille O’Neal, presented by Julius Erving (‘93), Alonzo Mourning (’14), Bill Russell (‘75), Isiah Thomas (’00),
- Cumberland Posey, presented by Earl Monroe (’90)
- Jerry Reinsdorf, presented by Phil Jackson (‘07), Scottie Pippen (‘10)
- Sheryl Swoopes, presented by Van Chancellor (’07), Nancy Lieberman (’96)
- Yao Ming, presented by Dikembe Mutombo (‘15), Bill Russell (‘75), Bill Walton (’93)
For more information on Enshrinement Tickets, please call the Basketball Hall of Fame’s Ticket Office at (413) 231-5540. Tickets are available for multiple events throughout the weekend at varying price points. Each ticket price includes a tax-deductible donation to benefit the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, Inc., a 501 ©(3) non-profit organization.
About the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame
Located in Springfield, Massachusetts, the city where basketball was invented, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame promotes and preserves the game of basketball at every level – professional, collegiate and high school, for both men and women on the global stage.
For more information