Third annual basketball tournament features region’s first responders, public safety officials and military personnel
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame today announced teams for the 3rd annual ‘Hoops & Heroes’ tournament to open the 2012 Enshrinement Celebration. The two-day tournament, featuring Hampden County Sheriff Michael J. Ashe, Jr. as the Honorary Chair, will be held August 25-26 and feature 16 teams of first responders from throughout the region. The games begin at Springfield College on Saturday and the “final four” teams will progress to the Championship round to be played at the Hall of Fame’s Center Court Sunday morning. In addition to the two semifinals and championship game – activities also include an exhibition basketball game by Special Olympic Athletes. The proceeds from the games and related activities benefit the Special Olympics of Massachusetts. Fans are encouraged to come out to support the event.
Hall of Famer Rick Barry will visit the 2012 Hoops & Heroes Basketball Tournament just prior to tip-off of the tournament on Saturday, August 25th at Springfield College. Rick has been named one of the NBA’s 50 Greatest Players and is the only player ever to lead the NCAA, ABA and NBA in scoring during a single season.
This year’s Hoops & Heroes Tournament features teams from all over New England and New York including Albany, Boston, Chelsea Police Departments, the Connecticut State Police & Public Safety Officers, Berkshire, Hampden, Hampshire, and Suffolk County Sheriff Departments, Connecticut Judicial Marshal Services, New Haven and York Corrections, United States Coast Guard, Labrie, Pouliot, Larocque & Guiel, P.C. and defending champions United States Air Force. The championship team will be provided with VIP tickets to the 2012 Enshrinement Ceremony and be recognized and honored during the evening’s events.
This year’s Enshrinement Ceremony will take place at Springfield’s Symphony Hall on Friday, September 7th at 7:30 pm ET. Over 50 Hall of Famers are once again expected to attend this year’s ceremony to honor the Class of 2012, which includes five-time NBA All-Star Reggie Miller; all-time winningest coach in NBA History Don Nelson; NCAA basketball official Hank Nichols; three-time Naismith Award winner Ralph Sampson; three-time NBA All-Star Jamaal Wilkes; first women’s professional basketball team All American Red Heads; two-time Olympic Gold medalist Katrina McClain; early African-American pioneer Don Barksdale; International coaching legend Lidia Alexeeva; ABA/NBA superstar Mel Daniels; seven-time NBA All-Star Chet Walker; and one of the most significant contributors to the game of basketball Phil Knight.
For more information on Enshrinement Tickets, please call the Basketball Hall of Fame’s Ticket Office at (413) 231-5540. Tickets are available for as low as $99. Each ticket price includes a tax-deductible donation to benefit the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
About the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame:
Located in Springfield, Massachusetts, the city where basketball was invented, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame promotes and preserves the game of basketball at every level – professional, collegiate and high school, for both men and women on the global stage.
Saturday, August 25 (Springfield College Field House)
10:00 AM (Appearance by Hall of Famer Rick Barry)
- Labrie, Pouliot, Larocque & Guil vs. York Correctional
- Albany Police Department vs. US Air Force
- Hampden City Sheriff’s – 2 vs. New Haven Comm. Corrections
- Boston Police Department vs. US Coast Guard
- Hampden City Sheriff’s – 3 vs. Connecticut Judicial Marshal Services
- Connecticut State Police vs. Chelsea Police Department
- Hampshire Cty Sheriff’s Dept vs. Berkshire County Sheriff’s Department
- CT Public Safety Officers vs. Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department
- Labrie, Pouliot, Larocque & Guil vs. US Air Force
- Albany Police Department vs. York Correctional
- Hampden Cty Sheriff’s - 2 vs. US Coast Guard
- Boston Police Department vs. New Haven Comm. Corrections
- Hampden Cty Sheriff’s – 3 vs. Chelsea Police Department
- Connecticut State Police vs. Connecticut Judicial Marshal Services
- Hampshire Cty Sheriff’s Dept vs. Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department
- CT Public Safety Officers vs. Berkshire County Sheriff’s Department
- Labrie, Pouliot, Larocque & Guil vs. Albany Police Department
- US Air Force vs. York Correctional
- Hampden Cty Sheriff’s – 2 vs. Boston Police Department
- US Coast Guard vs. New Haven Comm. Corrections
- Hampden Cty Sheriff’s – 3 vs. Connecticut State Police
- Chelsea Police Department vs. Connecticut Judicial Marshal Services
- Hampshire Cty Sheriff’s Dept vs. CT Public Safety Officers
- Suffolk County Sheriff’s Dept vs. Berkshire County Sheriff’s Department
Sunday, August 26 (Basketball Hall of Fame Center Court)
10:00 AM - SEMIFINAL #1 - Winner of Pool A vs. Winner of Pool B
11:15 AM - SEMIFINAL #2 - Winner of Pool C vs. Winner of Pool D
12:30 PM - SPECIAL OLYMPICS EXHIBITION GAME
1:00 PM - CHAMPIONSHIP GAME - Winner of Semifinal #1 vs. Winner of Semifinal #2
2:00 PM - 2012 HOOPS & HEROES TOURNAMENT TROPHY PRESENTATION